Wednesday, April 27, 2005

I'm no prison bitch (part 1)


What're YOU lookin' at? Posted by Hello


When I was not much younger I was locked up in the Spalding County Jail in Griffin, Georgia. I had written a bunch (I mean a bunch) of bad checks due to a nasty little crack habit I had acquired. While I'm not a small fellow, I never really liked to fight, so I would just put my mean face on and hope nobody messed with me. For the most part, that tactic worked. I only got in one fight and even though I tecnically lost (I foolishly let him get too close to me, there are no fair fights in jail), nobody ever bothered me in that particular lockup again.

Once, when I was walking around the cell block I passed an open door and saw an acquaintance getting a tattoo.

Before I go any further with the story, let me explain the conditions surrounding the jailhouse tattoo. First of all, in the county lockup general population, personal tape players are not allowed. The motors in those Walkmans are what is used to make the tattoo 'guns' you see in all those prison shows like 'Oz' and the like. I don't know how it was done, and it doesn't matter; we didn't have one so we had to improvise.

First you had to make the needle: a sharpened, straightened out staple usually did the trick. The staple was then placed on the end of a toothbrush and melted in place so it didn't move during the artistic torture. Once it was set, a thread was wrapped around it to hold the ink while it was being etched in the skin.

Speaking of the ink, Oh God...

One would think, or at least hope, that the ink was simply taken from a ball point pen or something but we were not so lucky. First, the backs of two legal pads were taped together and the resulting cylinder was placed on another legal pad back. Styrofoam cups were placed inside and set on fire with a smuggled lighter. The resulting soot was scraped off the cardboard, mixed with shampoo and voila! Now you had hepatitis. I mean ink.

The needle would be dipped into the ink and then poked into the skin until the mark stayed. Don't fool yourself folks, this process hurts! And here I was watching this torture process happen, wincing in sypathetic agony with every grimace this bozo made as he was poked.

And once again, one of those strange thoughts came into my head.

I want one of those.

WTF!!!!!

Since this is a pretty long story and I want to at least pretend to be intriguing, check back in a day or two for part 2 of this story.



BodyJewelry.com The #1 Body Piercing Jewelry Website on the Net Today

5 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

Wasn't Oz the best! I really miss that show.
Peace!
(hope you are hep-free!)

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Alois said...

Loy, I got some bad news for you brotha. And this is coming from another brotha in Atlanta.
Your not helping our race out by going to jail. You know that? At least you are being honest with yourself and everyone else. thanks to that :)

8:40 PM  
Blogger Loy said...

Alois, thanks for reading my blog, and I'd like to respond to your comment.

I have some bad news and some good news. The bad news is that I went to jail and later to prison. It is true that my going there did nothing to help our race. The good news is that I'm not there anymore, and that is wonderful for our race secondarily but myself primarily.

Once I stopped doing dope (over 5 years now), I stopped behaving in ways that put me in places like jail and prison and made me a respected member of my peers. My former parole officer would be happy to agree with all that I have said.

Having said that, I'm no longer the same man. I'm a continually improving individual who looks for the positive in life.

BTW I'm glad you like the tattoo.

11:11 PM  
Anonymous alois said...

I dig that. Your a good man. Karma will shine.
I have a quick question? Are you self conscience about your mouth?

11:26 PM  
Blogger Loy said...

Eh? I'm not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean am I still self conscious about how my mouth looks? If so, then sure, but my mouth isn't the only part of me I'm self conscious of. If you mean the fact that sometimes I have a tendency to shoot my mouth off, then my question is how did you know?

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home