Tuesday, May 03, 2005


And when they grow up they make a great snack! Posted by Hello

When I'm not feeling secure with my own self, I like to do things that allow me to make fun of myself; like burst into a broadway showtune at work, or wear the "Scream" mask I bought two halloweens ago around the house or buy myself some Sea Monkeys like I did a few days ago.

Years ago, when I was 5 or 6 I had Sea Monkeys. Twice. I murdered the first batch by just forgetting they existed, and not feeding them or becoming dissatisfied that they didn't look like the picture on the card, I forget which. Probably a little bit of both if that's possible. The second batch was taken to my second grade classroom and fed there which was fine with me. At least feeding them wasn't my responsibility.

Those suckers got huge! I remember sitting in class and staring at them when I was supposed to be listening to whatever Mrs. Smith was teaching us at the time. I liked to watch them wiggle around that water. Mrs. Smith hated me ignoring her.

This new batch was almost a disappointment. I purified the water for 24 hours like it said, but when I dumped the little packet of eggs in it, I saw nothing but green water with little bits of powder and what I assume were Sea Monkey eggs. I almost chucked the project right then and there but I decided to wait until the next morning to see what I could see.

Sure enough, with the aid of the magnifying glass included in the package I saw tiny little dots propelling themselves through the water. I know they weren't just debris, 'cause they were going against the flow of the water.

At least this one time I didn't follow my first thought and I exercised a little patience. With a little patience I can watch my new little pets grow and I bet that with patience comes the ability to take care of another living thing. In other words, responsibility.




Are you a forty year old male or older? Going through a mid-life crisis but can't afford a sports car? Do like I did and go through your second childhood by getting your own batch of Sea Monkeys at ThinkGeek.com! Tell 'em Loy sent'cha!

10 Comments:

Blogger -ms jumbled mind- said...

how does a sea monkey look like? do post up a pic of it! We dont have it here I think

1:02 AM  
Blogger Clublint said...

There is a blog floating around. I can't remember the name of it, but this guy was down to his last sea monkey and he had it in a little tank between healing crystals trying to keep this poor thing alive and seriously it was tragic.

You're saying they're going to make a tasty snack and I'm dying for you and this guy to meet up and exchange views.

Ah jeez too funny.

Sea monkeys are basically little shrimp aren't they? I remember seeing ads for them on the back of Archie comics when I was a little girl and they finally came to Australia about 8 years ago.

My daughter promptly killed her first batch by busting the tank, not telling me, and having the water leak everywhere.

Deb

4:51 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Loy, you really crack me up! You have a wonderfully interesting mind. And ah.........that responsibility thing, don't take it TOO seriously or it will surely stunt you. I, myself, have no pets!
Peace..........

8:06 AM  
Blogger Rhoda IV said...

I can't begin to imagine the number of sea monkeys that have died at my irresponsible nurturing. I was also very dissapointed to find that the sea monkey didn't look like that cool cartoon sea monkey family on the back of my comic books. *SIGH*

11:10 AM  
Blogger Loy said...

Ahh...I'm glad to see that there are so many sea monkey fans out there. You'll notice that sea monkeys look more like this than this.

How disappointing!

1:07 PM  
Anonymous chele said...

...aren't they shrimp

7:29 PM  
Blogger Loy said...

Yes, according to the back of the card, Sea Monkeys are in essence, genetically modified brine shrimp. Go science!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

i had sea monkeys a few years ago, my roommate got mad at me and poured beer in with them. the murderer.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Robert Jimenez said...

Sea monkeys were great. Thanks for bringing back those memories!!! :)

5:09 PM  
Blogger felicity_ny said...

Ooohhh!!!Ooooohh!!! I get to share my advice for raising Sea Monkeys (without sounding totally off topic). YAY!

I had Sea Monkeys for about a month and learned (the hard way) that you should never, ever, under any circumstances keep your Amazing Sea Monkey Habitat anywhere near your alarm clock. One groggy grope for the snooze bar and they all met their fate in a carpety grave. :(

Good luck with yours!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home